Wikipedia Wars

Hi all,

I was going to email Maura and Michael directly but then decided that my question might be useful to others.

I looked over the talk page of the person who reverted my wikipedia edit and am wondering how to proceed.  It appears he is in the habit of reverting others’ edits and doing so without much, or any, explanation.  My first instinct is to explain to him, with references, the reasons for my edits on his talk page.  But that kind of feels like he owns the page and I’m asking for his permission.  Thoughts?

Silvana

7 thoughts on “Wikipedia Wars

1. Christina

Maura – Thank you for your clarification as I’ve been carefully following this page and referencing a few others.

As a still-learning Wikipedian (is that a word yet?) I read through the WP: NOR page and if I’m understanding the source information correctly, it appears that we can’t pull in the most recent literature into Wikipedia. Since the gaming field is advancing fairly rapidly with few (in comparison with other fields) secondary/summarizing sources, if there hasn’t been a review of the original article and research, I shouldn’t pull it into the Wikipedia article. However, could I get around this by creating a page (via WordPress), summarizing the articles on that page, and then cite my personal page in Wikipedia? To me, this seems like it would be a significant flaw in the Wikipedia system. Although Wikipedia pages are peer-reviewed, does anyone check the citations? I noticed many “broken links” on a few of the pages I scanned and wondered about this. Furthermore, if we cannot find a source for the information on the page, should we pull out the information?

Comment Tags: Citations, Games, Sources, Wikipedia